Collins Learning was looking to develop a digital learning environment for teacher and student use. The aim of this research was to ensure the platform, Collins Connect, was intuitive, user friendly and met the needs of secondary school teachers.
Our approach and methodology
Shift Learning conducted usability research with 24 teachers and heads of departments:
- From a range of different subjects
- With a range of comfort with technology
- Who used a range of VLE products
Usability testing was conducted at two different stages of the platform’s development, ensuring that iterations made to the platform from the first round of testing were consistent with the needs of end users.
1 hour research session; 45 minutes of which were spent exploring the site with the respondents while a pre and post questionnaire captured in-depth information on current use of resources, reactions to the new concept, perceived competitors and pricing model
Delivering results and value to our client
Shift Learning prides itself on providing actionable findings. Collins Learning received:
- A top line report delivered within one week of the end of testing
- A full report with:
- Hierarchical measure of suggested changes
- Short term goals and long term developmental aims
- Audio-visual recordings of each usability task. Shift Learning uses Morae software which enables on-screen activity to be recorded in conjunction with respondents facial expression, providing detailed analysis of respondents reactions.