Video content on the BBC Active Video for Learning website was previously navigated via a set of fourteen broad categories.
BBC Active asked Shift Learning to develop a set of appropriate sub-categories to apply to the online content of over 2,000 products within the BBC catalogue, for each of these fourteen main category areas.
Our approach and methodology
- Desk research was conducted around each broad category to establish an initial list of sub-categories, taking into account SEO terms relating to the work previously carried out by Shift Learning on the BBC Active website.
- The product list was analysed from the copy on the product’s web page, entering the sub-categories on an Excel spreadsheet, showing the product name, its broad category and its allocated subcategories.
Delivering results and value to our client
The project resulted in the following deliverables for the client:
- An initial list of suggested sub-categories based on the desk research phase.
- A full Excel spreadsheet listing the products agreed at project start and a subsequent spreadsheet including new products added since project start.
- A subsequent phase of the project will involve tagging each product on the website CMS, according to their new subcategories, enhancing ease of navigation on title sourcing on the BBC Active website.