Why COVID online exams research?
The COVID-19 pandemic forced universities and other HE providers across the globe to move examinations online, with the two-fold difficulty of ensuring:
- Appropriate technology was in place.
- Virtual examinations were just as rigorous as in previous years.
Ahead of a second year of online examinations, we wanted to speak with students and uncover some lessons for universities to learn.
To bring quantitative insight to COVID online exams research, we conducted a survey in late 2020 with 1,055 students in the UK, which revealed:
- 59% agreed that they were satisfied with their online assessment, but this was much lower for students in more creative subjects.
- Only 42% agreed they were happy with the invigilation of their online assessment, while a third of students disagreed.
- When asked to predict the longer-term impacts of a move to online assessments, 40% thought it would lead to a decrease in recognition of their qualification by employers, while 72% predicted an increased risk of cheating.
Interested in your own research?
Our dynamic and dedicated team have vast experience with talking to students, and a range of other audiences, about sensitive issues.